[POTW: 7] Papercraft Objects: The final Daruma

 This post is a continuation of the prior papercraft assignments that we've been working towards. A few weeks ago we made our first papercraft prototypes of objects that had significant meanings to us, and since then have revised our prototypes to the final renditions!

For this final papercraft, we had the option of using the super fancy TroTec laser cutter at the 'ThingTank' for more accurate cuts with the cardstock and to save on time. 

For this prototype (now V3), factoring in feedback from last class, I revised the V2 daruma and included some features from my original V1 template by changing the structure of the body and faceplates. Instead of having the closed surfaces of my daruma V2 template that had the issue of blocking out the tabs, I decided to rework it so that the prototype is interlocking and stackable to create the final form of the daruma. The template was scaled to print on tabloid sized / 11x17" cardstock.



 


Some other changes:
•made the prototype larger overall - 13cm tall. 
•removed the base of the daruma body (now opened form)
•larger tabs
• used rubber cement instead of a glue stick
•separated the faceplate features from the face plate (nose =  sloped diamond and stacked paper for eyes)
•revised the faceplate structure, and separated it into 3 pieces.
•edited the base. The base is now taller, and only closed on the bottom side. This made the inside more accessible, and also acted as extra support.
•reinforced the open edges of the base and body with extra tabs.
•added an additional partial support piece on the inside, that also acted as a rest for the top of the base.



Reflecting about the process of this project, I do regret not using the laser cutter and making the large daruma in colour instead of with white cardstock/ not adding accents to the design. I ended up using white cardstock because I wasn't able to find any in colour in 11x17" size.

I found cutting and scoring the template by hand easier with the tabloid size templates, however with the second daruma that I made with coloured cardstock on 8.5x11", it was quite difficult with how small the tabs ended up being and the rubber cement didn't adhere well with the coloured cardstock. Overall, I am happy with this project, it was fun to create, but do I feel I could have better managed my time and had a cleaner final with the laser cutter.


The bonus daruma (8.5cm tall) :

Bye for now! ☆
- K.

Comments