[9.2] Reversed Engineered Object: Progress III - (And a bit of everything else update)

Hey ya'll. Just an update for now on a bit of everything. I'm still finishing up my reverse engineering project, I have two pieces left (of 7) to finish along with adding materials for the final renders


Last week I remembered to get my laser-cut cut, it was quite a delay on my end … I'm hoping to get it recut later today or after tomorrow's class with re-adjusted values. I found that the hatch grey-scaling levels were a lot more intense than I expected with the test and final. I used 3mm (1/8") plywood for it. I'd like to try and cut it in acrylic as well as the plywood and see if the material changes or defines the designs better.

It's pretty crispy looking - lol this could be a good lesson in not what to do for laser-cutting. What I learned from the technician, is that basically any value between 75-100 will make it look burnt and the Trotec has a hard time distinguishing the values.



Anyways! the final assignment that we started last week is a non-traditional 3D-printable chess set that has to include the minimum 6 pieces: a pawn, rook, bishop, knight, king, and queen. Ideally the models should be self-supporting or with as little print supports as possible. We also have to document the process, and make two HD renders (1 of the pieces, and the other of a mockup on a chessboard.) The project is open for whichever 3D programs we want to use. I decided to go with Rhino 8 and Nomad Sculpt for this one.

Some ideas I've been playing around with are the the two sets of pieces where one is an inset of the other, tiny creatures, the pieces being printable in multiple parts, and possibly using more than PLA as a material - using acrylic or liquid resin post-printing for other details. A few things I found as inspo. are forest-themes, folklore, Alphonse Mucha, Toco-oco, ceramic and vinyl figurines, and En Iwamura's sculptures. 
 

-K.







Comments